MOTHER TONGUE INFLUENCE (MTI) – H0W TO GET RID OF IT
What does it mean?
It is the speaker’s mother tongue that becomes a problem while speaking English or any other foreign language. It is as simple as that. It is often the most common issue that people find difficult to tackle. But with a little focus and awareness, even that which appears difficult becomes easy.
The most common issues
· Comfort zone with the native language
· Frequent usage of native words in between speech
· No control over such usage
· Inability to gain mastery over certain sounds like v, w, p, f, b, s ,z, sh, r etc
· Speaking with the same speed as the native language
· Improper knowledge of sounds and insufficient practice
The efficient solutions
· Acceptance of this accent.
· Work at a lot of words that involve sounds that are difficult to you.
· Practice a lot of tongue twisters.
· Make short sentences.
· Make a conscious effort to be slow while speaking English.
· Keep a pocket dictionary with you always.
· Observe proper English speaking people and bring in corrections wherever necessary.
· Watch a lot of pronunciation videos.
· Form a group with which you can constantly practice and exchange new words and keep an assessment record. This could be highly motivating for all the members in the group. Besides, you will learn quickly too.
· Word stress needs to go hand in hand with pronunciation.
· Humming sounds and mouth exercises can be of help. This would help in breaking the tendency.
· Create a lot of new sentences using words that involve the difficult sounds.
· Do not consider your mother tongue as a major hassle but make English an added strength for yourself.
Few basic words with such influences:
Special and so on.
The list has many more but the point is about overcoming it by educating one’s mind to stay off the influence for some time when English takes over. This can happen only with a conscious effort and a whole lot of patience.
As said by someone, “Everything is difficult before it becomes easy.”